Friday, May 23, 2008

The Corporate Sponsothreat?

I have seen a new side of a couple of vendors recently. Is it a turn in the economy? Or just desperation. We have been working a couple of larger deals and because we do business with these clients with the opportunity, we were ask to do a "Corporate Sponsorship" That would be defined as management calling the clients management and "reminding" them that we do business with them.

Sure, I try and do business with companies that do business with me. That is always a good practice. However it isn't always possible. I may have several business that do business with me in the same industry. So I have to choose the best solution.

In the case above, that is probably true. Which I have no problem with. Where a vendor, in my opinion, crossed the line is by suggesting that we threaten to move our business if the client does not do business with me.

It all comes down to selling solutions. Making sure you position your solution at the top. You may have some advantages like doing business with a client, however this is just that, an advantage. Lets face it, sometimes you lose. Your solution may have not been the best! Being a sore loser will never increase your sales.

No comments: