Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My inner 80's Geek Coming out!

After seeing my complaint to Microsoft, I have to admit I have been streaming some 80's shows that really got me interested in technology. In retrospect most of the technology is not really possible. In fact 20 plus years later it is not possible.

The shows I have been watching are Airwolf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwolf which has reminded me of a couple of things that was happening in the early 80's. Like the cold war and hair styles. Specifically the poof. Not a style that I hope comes back anytime soon.

Then I have been watching Knight Rider http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_Rider_(1982_TV_series). This show came back last year in a new release. (The original was better and Hasselhof cannot be beat for this corny series) What really comes to front in this show is how absolutely bad most cars were in the early 80s. They were square and lacked character. KITT (The car) looks very similar to the inside of my 80's corvette.

A common theme is the music and product placement on both of these series. They do not do this as much these days. Sure, they do product placement, however in these series they almost come out and say "Look I am drinking Coke and I am cool" As for the music, the main character walks into the bar and they play about 30 seconds of the song as if to say buy this album! Of course it is played on a juke box playing vinyl!

Anyway these type of shows (Along with Dukes of Hazard) formed some early TV memories for me. The futuristic technology really got me hooked on the future. Now I look today and as futuristic as they were trying to be they could not have foreseen;
1. What cell phones can do today!
2. The Internet
3. End of the cold war
4. What the PC can do.
5. Pretty much everything I work with everyday.
6. Death of film (Replaced by the digital camera)
7. They would have figured that we would have found a replacement for Unleaded. (Hey, at least Regular is gone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline
8. Ipod!
9. Death of; Vinyl, Tape, CD...
10. Netflix!!!
11. That AT&T would be BACK.
12. Haselhoff still looks the same.

Just a few things I came up with.

So I suppose I should come up with some kind of sales link. I am going with selling a dream. Many business owners have a dream of what their business should/could be. By selling something that can help achieve the dream you can really get ahead. (Never over promise however)

Sorry for making you read all of this.

No comments: