Monday, March 17, 2008

Giving this a try/The Sales-Technical conflict.

I have been impressed with my friend and peer from Canada Stuart for some time. He is continually blogging about one thing or another. Then I saw another peers site (Arlin Sorensen) from Iowa. This has become a daily practice for me to check their sites. I in fact am disappointed when there is no post!

I have a feeling that if anyone will check my postings daily, you may have the same disappointment frequently.

Moving forward for today.

Today I had a chance to see one of our installs and work with the technician doing the install (Cody) I happened to show up just after the work begun and started to understand some of the frustrations that can be felt by install technicians.


Rarely do I have a chance to do all the sales to a customer any more. This was a rare opportunity. I forgot how much I enjoy this process. During the sales cycle, I spent significant time going over the scope of work and making sure what the customer was going to provide. (I knew I would be under the microscope!)

After showing up on this install, none of this pre-work was completed. There was no power at the location, cable drops were not installed, it was like the customer forgot everything we had spoke about. Cody was looking at the scope of work saying this was all to be complete. Here is where the understanding comes in. If I hadn't been there to talk to the customer and Cody, he would of thought I had done a poor job in presales.

This just illustrates the need for us as a team to communicate and always trust each other first.

Anyway, hope some people find my ramblings interesting. Please leave comments.

1 comment:

Stuart R. Crawford said...

Hi Steve

Welcome to the world of blogging...when you have some time lets make this thing sing.

Cheers

Stuart Crawford
Calgary, AB
http://www.stuartcrawford.com