Thursday, January 22, 2009

Had a salesperson call on me yesterday.

They had an inside sales person set the appointment and really to get that far was impressive. The company calling on me was all initials and I had to google them just to figure out what they did. However I was curious about the person that was going to do the visit because the inside person was so good.

Anyway the sales rep showed up 10 min early (Good start) then went all down hill. No questions about who I was or what I did. Nothing about who this rep was or their qualifications. Finally after 10 minutes I ask what their company did specifically.

Lesson is go back to the basics. Sell yourself, sell your company then your products. And in there you have to know who you are talking to.

Needless to say I will not be doing business with this company.

1 comment:

Mitch Miller said...

I couldn't agree more! Question is, how often do our sales folks do the same thing? As a salesmanager, you can never stop preaching and teaching!