Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Is the phone call a lost art?

So I was disconnected from email for 5 days. I have to tell you it was a bit like an addiction. The first day, I was looking for wireless connectivity. Darn it, all secure. I was a bit figitity and on edge. Second day, I looked again, then gave up all hope. By day three, I was over it and kinda enjoying the lack of connectivity. Not that this in any way is equal to a real addiction.

Anyway, I did have my cell phone with me. I took a couple of calls on Thursday. Most of them not important. Still, several people sent me emails and, then followed up Friday wanting to know where their answer was. I did do the return email thing that stated that I was out of the office till Tuesday. Yet, this did not phase anyone of these persistent emailer's. If they would have picked up the phone and gave me a call, I would have answered and had the information (Or the right person with the information) right away.

More than not, we trust that email gets to the right person. With today's SPAM filters, multiple servers talking to each other and all the other things that can get in the way. Nothing replaces a simple phone call. Plus, it is good old fashioned customer service.

1 comment:

Stuart R. Crawford said...

Yes Steve, the phone is a lost art. Personally myself, I would rather communicate via email or messenger over picking up the phone and talking.

Not that I don't enjoy talking on the phone, however I only reserve the phone for emergencies or those special people (you are included) that I want to talk with.

That is just my opinion though and the way that I am wired.

Stuart Crawford
Calgary, AB
http://www.stuartcrawford.com