Sunday, April 27, 2008

Another project over budget and out of patience

I spent part of the weekend installing a radio in the golf cart. (Too many times the game was on) It took 7 hours. Are you kidding me? Nothing went as planned. Attaching the radio was not simple. Wiring was hard to route and to top it off, I connected 48 Volt to the radio by crossing a wire. So after picking up the second radio it now works.

In the IT industry, I see customers do similar things with their business IT. They try and do it themselves. It can cost more time than originally thought, equipment can break and the end result can be a system that does not work the way that they originally thought. It is our sales job to use experience to show clients how our professional services can prevent over budget, poor performing projects. My radio doesn't change the performance and profitability of a business. The performance of a network can and will change the performance of a business.

No comments: