Friday, December 26, 2008

Remembering the old days.

Today I was out driving my toy and I went by Walmart, Homedepo, The Mall and other retail chains. While you could not pay me to go to these locations till after the first of the year, I did see the amount of traffic, cars, people and things going on.

This brought me back to my days of managing a Radio Shack. It all started the end of October, but really got going Thanksgiving week. Wednesday that week trying to get out as soon as possible, driving home (3 hours) and getting in after dark (8-10pm) spending half a day with family, then driving back Thursday night for the 5AM store meeting/sign postings with an opening around 6am. Being completely slammed, barley eating (Something you could probably not see in me today) then repeating it over the next day.

Then Christmas. Working Christmas eve trying to leave for home around 3. Spending Christmas day with Family and driving home that night for early opening the day after. Busier than before Christmas and doing inventory on the 1st.

To be honest I dreaded the holidays. Sure, commissions increased significantly but so did the headaches. Customers were grumpy, more employees (Part timers) and people not showing up. Trying to get inventory out, dealing with defective products, on and on. For the 8 years or so I did that, it really ruined the holidays. Not so any more. Two weeks off, kids excitement of Santa coming, friends and family and people in the job I have now are happy. They enjoy similar experience.

So what am I saying? Well our brethren in retail sales are sales people also. While some of the worst sales people I have ever met were in retail, some of the best were found their also. I learned all my core skills there. So simply, give them a break. Be nice when the experience is tense, give people the opportunity to make it right. I know I wanted to do everything I could do for a customer, sometimes due to the amount of traffic and other factors I was not able to give the attention I should have. Here is thinking of those who help us make our gift giving the best it could be.

No comments: