Sunday, September 14, 2008

Would you jump without a reserve parachute?

Hard drive rate of failure is documented between 3 and 13% (http://lwn.net/Articles/237924/ is an example of many that can be found) But lets face it, if it was only one failure in a million, would you still backup you critical data? I would. As I have written before I have a Windows Home Server. I keep family photo's, videos, website and more on it. Sure, it duplicates data to different hard drives, then I backup that onto a usb hard drive, then I have a copy at work and on a networked PC. These are just family photo's.

If I was dealing with my businesses data and I was responsible, I would probably sleep with a copy under my pillow!

Still this week, two businesses we deal with had failures on their server. Both had NO BACKUP!. I mean none. They weren't even trying! Guess what COMPLETE DATA LOSS. What takes this to even a higher level is that we had suggested backups in the last several month! What gets me is that since we have provided a couple of solutions and one customer has done nothing (And is planning nothing)

I guess I do not understand this. Are we not educating customers enough about the risks? Is it "Too costly?" I would think that losing the data would not be acceptable. If anything it would be terms of losing your job.

No comments: