Thursday, June 26, 2008

Selling washing machines?

My wife Jenifer has wanted a new washing machine for probably 5 years. I will be honest, this was about as exciting as buying a minivan that we had until the first of the year. Sure, we need it but it is not real exciting to me! I figured that a new (Cool) washing machine was kinda like a new tools to my wife.

So, we went an looked at the machines. Ours was 10 plus years old and lets face it, a lot of things have changed in 10 years. (Like number of people in our house doubled). I went to three places to look. I am not buying from Home Depot, service was most important and I have not had the best of luck their. I went to Horizon (My favorite). They had a couple of units to look at, knowledgeable people (Terry) and a clean show room. They had it in stock, installation was included in their price and all the hoses and other was built in.

I had to look at Sears, we bought all of our new appliances there when we built our house. Only one person at the counter with a line, 2 units on the floor with lots of empty spaces for units. I didn't even really give them a chance.

Last was Maytag. Sales person was a bit "Interesting" but VERY knowledgeable. In fact maybe a bit too knowledgeable. He showed me every level. If he had ask any questions, he would have known that I was only interested in the best. So half an hour later when I wasn't able to interrupt (I know, it was a first). I ask a couple of questions. Installation? Extra, Hoses? Extra, Warranty? Extra, Stands? Extra.....

End of story, I went back to Horizon, bought what I first saw and liked. I guess if I was going to learn any sales lessons from this experience it would be these;

1. Ask questions, invite questions it will get you to the right solution without wasting time.
2. Don't Speed and Feed. IE read the specifications and overwhelm we with facts.
3. Be available. Acknowledge customers. Ignore them and they will leave.
4. Ask every time for the warranty. I stated at the beginning to each sales person that I don't buy extended warranties. But $120 for 5 year warranty on something that costs almost $3000 seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

No comments: