Monday, June 2, 2008

How I came home from vacation with a kid named Charlie?

As you may know, I have 2 sons; Caden and Carsen. Ever since I can remember, my dad (Grandpa now) would call kids affectionately "Charlie". I assume this comes from Charlie Brown but not exactly sure. Anyway, after calling Carsen this for a week, if you ask Carsen his name, he says it is Charlie?

Lets hope he does not get lost in the grocery store. He will tell everyone his name is Charlie!

What does this have to do with sales? It is very important to remember people's name. It makes them feel important, helps further the relationship and everyone likes to hear their name...Steve... I do.

I am TERRIBLE at remembering names. I have to write their names down, take business cards, practice names, play games with their names etc. If I could improve one thing, it is remembering names. I have found lots of ways to overcome this (A little) but the importance is so strong I continue to focus on this.

An example of someone that can remember names is my wife, whats her name. She can remember names, names of children, relationships and faces. She is continually telling me that I cannot remember names and faces it is because I didn't care. Maybe when it came to meeting her family early on this was true! Now, I would do anything to help this.

So if you see me in public with whats her name, I am probably asking her who you are. OK it isn't that bad. But, remember that using peoples name is one of the most simple things you can do to start out on the right foot.

No comments: