Monday, April 28, 2008

Finishing what you start.

Almost ten years ago we purchased our first house. We had a great set of neighbors. Two neighbors I want to speak about today. Both were in Jr High at the time. One has great artistic talent, the other has the ability to understand engineering and electronics. Both have skills that can take them far. These kids and I grew up together. They went to the lake with me, they swam in my pool and we worked on many projects. They are still great friends. Sometimes, friends disappoint you.

This is for Grant and Cody. Both of you wake up! You started college, you MUST finish. I heard that one of you made the comment that I do not use what I learned in college to do my job. That may be right, but I would not be here without that degree. There is no year off, I will go back in a couple of years. If you do not go back now, you will never go back. You WILL regret this for the rest of your life. You will be hindered in your future

Sure, you can be successful without a degree. I think almost everyone will agree with me that this degree will open doors that otherwise you will not have available. I am inviting you both to go to lunch with me next week to work out a plan to get back in school. I also am asking others that read my blog to comment on this.

2 comments:

Stuart R. Crawford said...

Hi Steve

I can't remember which book I read this in or which audiobook I heard it, however it went something like this...

A college education will prepare you to enter the rest of your life and the experiences you have once you enter will last you a lifetime

Or something like that

Stuart Crawford
Calgary, AB
http://www.stuartcrawford.com

Anonymous said...

I had to battle to finish college. It was a near thing - my burn out had grown and grown and I had one quarter where I got terrible grades. I was asked to take a quarter off and I spent it working in construction and then travelling to Key West for an extended spring break at a friends house. Then I went back to College and gutted out my last two quarters. I don't actively use my degree daily, but I have leveraged the degree into several jobs, and I have seen people's opinion of me go up because I have a degree. Get the degree - you'll have no regrets!

Just for grins, I googled "difference in lifetime salary with college degree." Here's the first link that came back - there are thousands more like it...

http://www.salary.com/personal/layoutscripts/psnl_articles.asp?tab=psn&cat=cat011&ser=ser036&part=par437

$2.1 million dollars over a career is a LOT of money...

Aaron Booker
Hardlines Company
Bellingham, WA
http://www.hardlines.com/blog