Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Garden City Dodge City

Started early in Garden City. A large crowd for being before 8. The presentation went really well. The Interim Chamber Director stated that "She just wanted to follow me around the rest of the day and hear me talk" I would have to say this was unexpected and one of the best compliments I could have had.

Then Dodge City. The room was not quite as nice however the crowd really filled in. I did have a chance to listen into a sales person (Manager with her report sitting next to her) speak to a large customer right next to me. They had no idea who I was or that I even understood what they were talking about. I want to take a short break in speaking about the presentations and outline the mistakes that were made.

Understand that this was across the table over lunch being served (Large group and serving took a while) They were discussing services exceeding $1,000 per month. Probably one of the most political accounts in town.

1. It was not the right place to have this discussion. Make an appointment at the customer site or at your office. Not in front of others, especially when you do not know who is around

2. Take a moment and actually listen to the customer. All this customer wanted to do is understand what kind of contract they were in. (This was a new manager and not from the area) Explore options. Hey, he may end up purchasing other things if he understood what you did?

3. Don't tell the customer what you can'/won't do. (Especially if you don't listen to them)

4. Watch the attitude. Short and snobby answers won't get you anywhere.

5. Be professional. Choose your words.

I would have loved to lean over the their customer and tell him that there are options in the area other than these folks. (Hey, I might later, this was not the place)

Back to the presentation. I choose to not have them do introductions. I like to have the shock and awe factor. I had a full 40 minutes this time so I could give my full presentation on technology. This presentation went the best, knocked it out of the park. There were lots of people who came up afterwards and judging from the engagement of the crowd I had every one's attention from the beginning until the end. What a rush. Sounds like I will be going back with asks to do this a couple more times in front of other groups.

No comments: