Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Carnie and Sales?

Some of the most early memories I have are going to Wamego Ks, where my grandma lived, and fourth of July. I remember going to the carnival and then watching the fireworks. It was always next to the big Dutch windmill (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2547). Some of that experience was the games. You know, throwing darts at balloons, horse racing with water guns, pick a duck, rings around bottles, coins on plates. I remember the people working the games would yell at you, taunt you, tease you, dare you and more! It seemed to work!

So spent tonight with the kids going to a carnival. I think the rides were some of the rides I went on 30 years ago. They sure look the same, kinda worse for wear. Games were the same too! But, the high pressure sales were not there. The people looked the same, but no yelling, no daring, just explanation of the game and take the money. Has even the carnival realized the high pressure sale no longer works?

The carnival, I think this is only a small town thing any more. Sure larger towns have the carnival, but not the same thing. I probably saw 50 people or more I knew tonight. It is kinda like a town party. Live music, carnival, food. (http://www.wildwestfestival.com/) What a great time for everyone and good time to bring people together.

No comments: