Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Selling value. Frogs in a can (Again!)

Remember my story about buying the batteries at RadioShack? Well, I have another part of that story. When I went into the store, the rep greeted me, ask me what I was looking for and showed me where the batteries were. When I told him what I was looking for, he had never heard of that type of battery. No problem, he ask the manager in the back. Came back and let me know they had been Disco. So he gave me a set of batteries. Most customers would have taken them and checked out. However, I am a bit more educated in RadioShack then your average customer. I knew he had given me the "Cheap" rechargeable batteries.

I wanted the best quality batteries. I ask for them and we rang out. I think it is the Frogs in the Can thing again. The rep was so used to being told "Give me the least expensive" that he no longer ask. It would have taken one, maybe two questions to find out that I was going to use them in a digital camera and wanted the maximum life from the batteries.

Sure, it was only a couple of $'s, but trust me that couple turns into many as time goes on. It could make the difference between making the month and not making the month. In addition, the rep could have ask if I needed additional memory card or accessories. I have been known to buy such things on sale.

In your sales efforts, do you take the extra step of making the offer or are you so used to being turned down that you just assume. It has been my experience that the difference between a good sales person and a great sales person is simple asking. Next time you are going to assume, take the extra step, you might be surprised.

No comments: