Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The three tiers of a sale

There are three things the seem universal to me in a sale. That is price, service and quality. If you think back to your last purchase, you probably evaluated these three things. The question is, which one was more important to you. Sometimes it is price, yet when you get home all you remember are quality and service.

Negotiating is part of sales. This is probably my most disliked part. That may surprise some. The reason I dislike it so much is that I did not do my job explaining the service and quality well so there is a low perceived value to the other tiers. If you find yourself defending price, maybe this should be turned around.

If I lower price, which of the other tiers do you want to lower. The three tiers are linked. Lowering price, lowers either quality or service, maybe both.

1 comment:

Stuart R. Crawford said...

Hi Steve...you really nailed it here my friend. We refuse to change my pricing. Once you do this you lose respect in the industry.

Cheers

Stuart Crawford
Calgary, AB
http://www.stuartcrawford.com