Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Closing every sale?

I am currently reading How to CLOSE EVERY SALE by Joe Girard. If your not familiar with Joe Girard, his claim to fame is being listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the "Worlds Greatest Salesman" for having sold more than 13,000 cars in a fifteen year period.

That is a lot of sales. He did not sell to fleets, he sold every one retail. You might think that he was high pressure, in your face "Used Car" sales man. Not true. Rather, he sold on relationship and referral. He believes in a few pillers such as customer service, sincerity and honesty. Customers call on Joe to buy a car. This is clearly the mark of a great sales maker.

In this book, I have not found any ground breaking, new sales techniques, instead, he simplifies the process, talkes about the individual pieces of a sale and brings some clarification to some areas.

I believe that a good sales person must constantly review their process, get back to the basics on an ongoing basis and revamp their own processes.

Reading is a great way to stay sharp and find new ideas. I may not find some of the good ideas I have in a book, however, something in a book will spawn an idea just by a phrase or another concept. Recently I went to Kindergarden roundup (Kinda like shopping for a school). In a way it was schools selling themself to get your child to come there. One thing they stressed was reading and how important it is to developing children. I figure if is that important to a 5 year old, it is probably that important to me. Lets face it, there is not a lot of difference between me and a five year old.

No comments: