Monday, March 17, 2008

Keeping it simple...

If you don't know me, I am a sales guy. Sure, I enjoy the technology but down deep I live for the sale. If your a sales guy, you probably know what I am talking about. If your not a sales guy, let me try and explain. Getting the yes, closing the deal, signing the order is a high. You can work months for this moment. This never gets old.


There is a secondary high, it is having a customer tell you that you solved a business problem and that your view helped them find a unique solution to their problem. This is, in my opinion, the basic building block of a solution sale.



Some people think that all sales people are motivated by money alone. This is the farthest from the truth for the best sales people I have met. Sure, money has a motivating factor. One of the best parts of my job is the fact that I am rewarded based on performance. The opposite can be true. That is if I do not perform, I do not get rewarded. I have been commissioned in one way or another since I graduated college.



So what does this have to do with keeping it simple? Sales is simple at some level. Be honest, under promise, over deliver, keep the terms easy to understand and keep the options in a way that is easy to understand.



I was ask to blog about what has made us successful at selling managed services. That is keep it simple. Make a check box, have only a few options and make it easy to understand.

No comments: