Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Am I the only one confused?

So my dad bought a 1965 Corvette Stingray Convertible for $3,800 new in 65. (I think I am at least close on those facts). I am sure when he sold it, he sold it for less than he bought if for. However, if you had one today, you could sell it (In decent condition) for over $100k.

Now, compare that to the laptop in my basement. It is 5 years old. I spent over $1k for it and today it might be worth $200. The processors have tripled and same with HD and ram.

Also compare it to a digital camera. My first digital camera was $300 for 3 mega pixel. Now for 10 mega pixel you pay half that.

So this is where my confusion comes in. A new corvette is $50k plus. Sure, it has a lot of performance enhancements over that 65. Yet the price continues to go up. You would think that the improvements in robotics, electronics and production would reduce costs significantly. Take that a step further. The least expensive car you can buy new today would exceed $10k. Sure maybe you can find one in that range. I doubt it would provide what I would consider reasonable transportation. In other words in 50 plus years, they cannot reduce the costs, or deliver a low cost solution to the car?

Then there is supply and demand. The 84 corvette that sits in my garage with 50k original miles, new radio, paint, tires and such is worth less than $10k. Why the difference between the 65 and the 84? Sure age, however there were LOTS of 84's produced compared to the 65. Great even if I keep the car 30 years it will still be only valuable to me.

Not sure where this is going other than the value of things are subjective and many things can impact what people are willing to pay for them.

No comments: