Thursday, May 15, 2008

Has Email lost its effectiveness?

Yesterday I did not check my email till the evening. 220 emails. That excludes the advertising! I am C, CC and BCC like crazy on emails. Many of these have titles like FYI and keeping you updated. Many times, the person sending me the email answers their own question. So I started to think, what should emails have in them?

1. If you need an answer, let people know what kind of response is requested and a time frame.
2. Don't BCC all the time! The person cannot address the parties involved unless those parties know you were part of the email.
3. Read emails before you send them. Make sure it says what you want. Words are not missing and it is complete sentences.
4. If it is a heated email. Write the email then sit on it for at least ten minutes before you send it. It may not be as bad as you initially think.
5. Check your facts. Make sure that the people said or did what someone told you. Verify statistics.
6. Remember that emails can be forwarded to anyone. Your emails may end up places where you do not want them.
7. Would the email be better communicated by a phone call or in person? Do it that way!
8. Remember that email has no emotion. Jokes can be taken wrong, if not written correctly lots of things can be interpreted the wrong way!

Clearly I have violated most if not all of these. Takes some time, save some one's in box and email wisely!

1 comment:

Stuart R. Crawford said...

Steve, you and me both...I am really starting to dislike email as a communication tool. I am seriously....

Stuart Crawford
in Buffalo, NY
http://www.stuartcrawford.com